Spay & Neuter Appointments Are Back!
Due to enhanced safety protocols and increased demand, we are unable to accommodate all of the appointment requests we receive each month. If you have questions or need assistance with the electronic forms or appointment requests, please contact us at (425) 649-7560 or [email protected]
For the safety of our community, staff and the animals in our care, we currently have curbside and electronic procedures for all of our appointments.
- If you are sick or have been exposed to COVID-19, please call us to reschedule your appointment.
- Pre-Surgery and Post-Surgery instructions will be emailed and are available below – please review prior to drop-off and pick-up. If you have questions, please call or email us.
- We REQUIRE all clients to wear a face mask.
- Please remain in your vehicle with your pet until instructed otherwise by staff. Once out of your vehicle, please practicing distancing as much as possible.
- We expect the process to go quickly with online forms and payments, but you should plan for up to 30 minutes to complete the drop-off.
- We have group drop-off and pick-up times listed below. Arriving on time and following our safety guidelines will help ensure a positive experience for your pets:
- Cat Drop-off: 7:15 a.m.
- Dog Drop-off: 7:30 a.m.
- Cat & Dog Pick-up: Same Day 4:00 p.m.
Seattle Humane Spay & Neuter Clinic
The Seattle Humane Spay & Neuter clinic is open Sunday – Saturday. We offer reduced-cost spay and neuter surgeries for dogs and cats of low-income families in our community. We use Fear Free techniques to reduce the fear, anxiety and stress for animals in our care. Learn more about preparing your pet for a visit here.
Why Spay & Neuter?
You can save lives!
By spaying or neutering your pet, you help address the pet homelessness crisis and save animals from being euthanized. There are also important medical, behavioral and financial benefits to spaying or neutering your animals. This surgery prevents unwanted litters, helps protect against serious health problems, and can reduce many of the behavioral problems tied to the instinct to mate.
Potential medical benefits:
- Your female pet will live a longer, healthier life. Spaying your pet before her first heat helps prevent uterine infections and cancerous breast tumors in about 50% of dogs and 90% of cats.
- Spaying your female pet also prevents potential complications with pregnancy, which can often be emergencies.
- Neutering your male dog or cat prevents testicular cancer and some prostate problems.
Potential behavioral benefits:
- Your spayed female pet won’t go into heat, so you avoid the related yowling and more frequent urination.
- Your neutered male dog will be less likely to roam away from home, risking injury in traffic and fights with other male animals.
- Your dog might be less likely to mount other dogs, people and inanimate objects after he’s neutered. Some aggression problems may be avoided by early neutering.
- Your neutered male cat will be less likely to mark/spray their territory and is less likely to get into fights with other cats.
Spaying/neutering your pets is also very cost-effective. The cost of your pet’s surgery is far less than the cost of caring for a litter or the health complications that can arise later.
We provide our low-income neighbors with reduced-cost spaying and neutering services. If you live in the greater Seattle area, check the chart below to see if your income level is below the amount listed to qualify for this service. You must meet the income qualifications in order to schedule an appointment.
|1 Person||2 Person||3 Person||4 Person||5 Person|
If you need additional support, please call or email us prior to scheduling your appointment and we can make arrangements. Please note that our appointment scheduling application automatically applies fees for recordkeeping purposes. If you request financial assistance, fees will be adjusted at the time of payment.
We also have voucher partners that can assist with the cost of surgery:
Services Available With Spay & Neuter Surgery
When your pet is neutered or spayed at Seattle Humane, the following services are included:
- Veterinarian exam
- Sedation and pain medicine
- General anesthesia
- Surgery performed by a licensed veterinarian
- Tattoo on abdomen
- Every pet spayed or neutered at our clinic will receive a small, green tattoo next to their incision, to let future caregivers know that the pet no longer has internal reproductive organs. In the event the pet is ever lost or rehomed, a tattoo can help a pet avoid unnecessary, invasive surgery.
- Afternoon snack after recovery
- Tender loving care
- Free nail trim
We can also provide the following care at an additional charge. Please note that these services are only available with spay or neuter surgery:
- Microchipping – $10
- Vaccinations (and boosters) – $10-15 per vaccine
- Rabies vaccine available for pets 16 weeks of age or older
- E-collar (cone) – $5
- Ear Cleaning – $5
- FeLV/FIV test – $15
- Flea treatment – $15
- Dewormer – $10
- Umbilical hernia repair (for pets with this diagnosis) – $25
Making an Appointment
All animals must be over 2 months old to be scheduled. In an effort to reduce the number of unwanted pets in our community, exceptions may be made after a consultation between the veterinarian and the pet owner to discuss the risks and benefits.
Our schedule is open one month at a time for making appointments, and we do not have a waitlist available. The link below will bring you to our online scheduling tool.
- Available appointment types will be listed. If you do not see the type of appointment you need, all available slots have been filled. If you feel your pet is in urgent need of this surgery, please call or email us.
- Select the appointment date that works best for you from the available dates
- Once we receive the appointment request, you will receive an email within 24 hours that contains the required intake and consent forms.
- You will use these forms to provide us with information about you and your pet, select any extra services and provide us with your consent for surgery.
Once we receive the submitted forms, you will receive an email with a secure link to pay online. If paying by cash or using a voucher, please contact us or indicate this on the forms to let us know. If you need to reschedule your appointment, we will apply the payment to your rescheduled appointment.
When we have all the necessary information, forms, and payment/arrangements, you will receive an email confirming your appointment.
For your convenience, pre-, day-of-, and post-surgery instructions are provided below.
Mom’s (or Dad’s!) Last Litter
Through our Last Litter program, we offer free spay & neuter surgeries for cats and dogs that are brought to our shelter with adoptable litters. Your mama (and/or papa) cat or dog is spayed or neutered in our clinic, and they return home with you the same day. The kittens or puppies are surrendered to our shelter where they will be examined by our veterinarian, spayed or neutered, vaccinated, and microchipped before becoming available for adoption through Seattle Humane.
The litter must be 8 weeks old and fully weaned. You can request an appointment at any time, but appointments will only be scheduled after the litter has reached this milestone. Any additional services requested at the time of surgery will be covered by Seattle Humane.
This program is subject to available space and resources. To learn more about this program, or to schedule an appointment, please call (425) 649.7560 or email [email protected]
Support for Reduced-Cost Services
Reduced-cost services are made possible by the support of our generous community. If you wish to donate or sponsor a spay or neuter surgery, please visit our Donation page and select the dog or cat medical funds under “Gift Designation.”
Your donation will go towards ensuring that pets get the veterinary care they need, regardless of their family’s income.
Other Veterinary Resources
Additional organizations that provide reduced-cost services for qualified low income clients can be found here. Please contact the organization for details on rates, services or to make an appointment. This list is provided as a resource and does not imply endorsement by Seattle Humane