What is a Pit Bull Terrier?
The American Pit Bull Terrier is known for being loyal, fearless, playful, protective, athletic and VERY friendly! They typically range from being between 30-90 lbs. Pit Bulls tend to have a stocky, muscular build with a short coat. They have long bodies, a powerful tail, adorable ears, a flat head and a big smile!
Due to their energetic personalities, they will require daily exercise to keep their mind stimulated. Even though they might get a bad rep, Pit Bulls are regarded by many as a very friendly dog with an outgoing disposition.
As a reminder, “Pit Bull” is not a breed. It’s a generic term often used to describe all dogs with similar traits and characteristics often known by the public as Pit Bulls. There are many breeds that can be considered a Pit Bull such as the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The American Bulldog and Bull Terrier are also sometimes considered Pit Bulls.
Why Would You Want to Adopt a Pit Bull Terrier?
- They’re adorable. These sweet and adorable faces are why so many people fall in love with Pit Bulls. I mean, why wouldn’t you want to sleep right next to that smiling face?! They also have some of the most unique and beautiful coloring.
- They’re easily trained. Start training from day one with your new pup. They’re very smart and will quickly learn from you if you’re able to take the time to train them on a daily basis.
- They love attention. Pit Bull Terriers require a lot of daily attention. They truly love to be loved and in return they will spoil you with their love and loyalty. They’re also people pleasers and will quickly do whatever it takes to make you happy. Sometimes they even forget about their size and think they are a lap dog – they just want to be as close to you as possible!
- They’re great with kids. They’re often considered a nanny dog who’s going to stay close to the kids wherever they are, be gentle, and keep the kids away from danger when they’re out and about.
- They LOVE to play. Anything can turn into fun, and they really aren’t too picky about what entertains them! If you’re looking to stay in shape this summer, it also might be the perfect time to adopt! They’re sure to keep you on track with your exercise goals.
- They’re enthusiastic! Pit Bulls have a very positive outlook on life and they seem to remain young at heart all through their life.
- Pit Bulls have the nickname “Nanny’s Dog” because they have proven to be very good with children and enjoy playing with them and watching over them.
- Often trained as Police and Customs dogs because of their sniffing abilities and their high intelligence. Popsicle is an example of a Pit Bull who served as a narcotic sniffing dog who has the largest record of a single drug find in Texas history.
- They make excellent search and rescue dogs.
- They’re also great candidates for a therapy dog. They make great visiting pet friends for a senior care center or helping someone recover for an emotional incident.
- Many Pit Bull Terriers used as service animals have been rescued.
- Petey starred in The Little Rascals and was the most beloved canine movie star. Every child wanted a dog just like him!
- Helen Keller was a huge dog lover and had a Pit Bull of her own who was one of her best friends.
If you’re looking for a happy pup who’s sure to put a smile on your face no matter how bad your day is, consider adopting a Pit Bull Terrier! They’re great dogs who are passionate about all aspects of life. They’ll be perfect, loyal and loving companions for years to come!