Our Donors' Generosity Makes a Life-Saving Difference
Because the Seattle Humane Society is not funded by the county, state, federal government or any other animal welfare agency, we rely on the generosity of animal lovers in our community to save more than 5,000 animals' lives every year. In fact, 82% of the Seattle Humane Society's funding comes from the generosity of individuals and local businesses. The other 18% comes from fees for services such as adoptions, spay/neuter surgeries and training courses.
The John & Phyllis Hines Cat Adoption Center
John H. Hines was a private man who loved and missed his wife, Phyllis. John knew how much Phyllis loved cats. In fact, they had two cats they adored. After Phyllis' death, John made regular gifts to the Seattle Humane Society honoring Phyllis' memory.
John's regular gifts in memory of Phyllis allowed him to pay tribute to her, while making a life-saving difference for the animals. In 2004, John passed away and continued this legacy of love by leaving his entire estate to the Seattle Humane Society.
John and Phyllis' generous bequest will ensure that the Seattle Humane Society is able to develop and expand life-saving programs and services for years to come to benefit
the cats they loved so dearly.
In their honor, the remodeled cat adoption center will be named the John and Phyllis Hines Cat Adoption Center.
Maria Theresa Purvis' Lasting Legacy to the Animals
Maria always had a special place in her heart for birds and cats. When she died last year at age 96, Maria left a generous bequest to the Seattle Humane Society, reflecting her lifelong devotion to animals.
Originally from Hungary, Maria lost all of her family members in the Holocaust. She was able to survive by immigrating to England, where she ended up marrying an American serviceman, Garnett Purvis.
Maria and her husband shared their Seattle home with many cats over the years who were like children to them. Additionally, Maria greatly enjoyed bird watching and was an avid collector of animal and bird figurines.
Since Maria was particularly concerned about companion animal overpopulation, a significant portion of her bequest to the Seattle Humane Society will fund spay/neuter surgeries.
You might also like to:
at the shelter!
SPREAD THE WORD
about our life-saving services!