Our warm weather might still say summer, but it’s time to get back to school. If summer is still on your mind and you haven’t quite finished all of your back to school shopping yet, we’ve got some things for you to keep in mind.
Did you know you can help support Seattle Humane with your back to school shopping? Below are several ways to help the animals by simply checking off the items on your list.
Fred Meyer’s Community Rewards – Sign up for Fred Meyer’s Community Rewards program and every time you use your Rewards Card a donation will be made to Seattle Humane! You’ll still earn your rewards points, fuel points, and rebates, just as you normally do. For more information visit fredmeyer.com/communityrewards and link your card to “Seattle Humane.”
AmazonSmile – You shop – Amazon gives! Sign up for AmazonSmile and they’ll donate 0.5% of your purchases to Seattle Humane when you select us to be your preferred charity. Learn more at: bit.ly/AmazonSmile-SHS
Bartell Drugs eScrip – Before you swing by Bartell Drugs to pick up hand sanitizer and that handy headache medicine, be sure to sign up for their “B” Caring Card! You get the medicine cabinet staples you need, and Seattle Humane receives 4% back.
YourBuyGives – YourBuyGives works with leading online stores like Groupon, Expedia, Kohl’s and more that will donate a percentage of every online purchase to Seattle Humane. A great way to support your favorite cause at no cost to you. Participating stores will also provide exclusive discounts to you as well. A win-win!
Step 1: Go to YourBuyGives.com Seattle Humane webpage
Step 2: Click though to the website you would like to shop
Step 3: A percentage of your purchase will be donated to the pets in our care!
Shelter Pups – Just in time for new students heading to college – give them a replica of your precious pet for them to have always! When you order an adorable custom pup or kitty made from natural wool, 15% of each sale benefits the homeless pets in our care! Just be sure to click here when accessing the site to maximize your gift to help pets in need.
Seattle Humane Wishlist – While you’re out shopping, pick up a bag of food for our Pet Food Bank like cans of Friskies for our cats, or visit our Amazon Wishlist. Then head to Seattle Humane to deliver and visit with the animals. It’s the perfect way to calm some of those back to school jitters!
AND don’t forget about your furry friends too! Our pets can get the back to school blues when the family heads back to school and work after a long summer with everyone. Here are some tips to help with the transition of getting everyone in the family back on a regular school schedule.
- Give your pet a treat every time you leave to help them develop positive associations with being alone.
- Keep your departures and returns quiet and low-key so as not to arouse any alarm unduly. Leave a familiar blanket or one of your T-shirts with your pet. Your smell will help soothe them. Ask your kids to spend quality time with the family pet after school – a walk around the block, a game of fetch in the yard.
- Puzzle treats entertain longer – Keep them stimulated with physical and mental workouts. Hiding treats around the home can keep a dog or cat busy for hours. Stuffed Kong’s are also great entertainment for dogs and some cats love to find a paper bag lying open on the floor (sprinkle cat nip inside)!
- Consider hiring an occasional dog walker or bringing your pooch to a doggie-daycare a few times a week to break up their day. This can help alleviate boredom and provide your pet with exercise.
- Don’t scold or punish your pet for bad behavior when you come home. It may make your pet more anxious and make situations worse.
- Try to avoid making additional changes if you can help it – don’t change their diet at this time for example. Keep exercise consistent and set aside a designated time each evening to give your pet one on one attention.